Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Phun in Phoenix (click on photos to enlarge)

What a whirlwind September. I left right after Labor Day to travel to Phoenix for week for a conference on Marketing Health Care. (Tracy wanted to stay back and work on the boat) It is pretty much the one-and-only industry specific conference, and so I was lucky to catch up with some old friends and made tons of new ones too. I saw my first boss, Jean Hitchcock, from my internship at Butterworth in 1991. That was fun! I spent tons of time with Jim Childress, my former (not old) boss from Metro (photo). I even got to catch up with Dayna, one of the partners with an ad agency in Holland that Metro uses. It felt like no time had passed at all. All was wonderful.
I also met some other Providence employees from around the region- Kira, Chris, and Leah. Two are from Anchorage and one is from Centralia, Washington. It was fun to hang out with fellow "brothers and sisters" of Providence.
The hotel was wonderful (photo). Great pools, beautiful rooms, stunning lobby. They had several pools (one that was like a lazy river ride at a water park) and a golf course. I hung out with my co-worker Cheri at the pool a few times... but way not enough (photo)!
One night, there was a networking event where one of the vendors (McMurry) brought in Rick Springfield. It was a highlight of the trip. Do you remember Rick Springfield from the 1980's? Wow, I felt like I was 13 again. It was a fun time. I ended up pretty close to the stage with a few other 30-something chicks. We acted like Springfield groupies the whole time. It was hilarious. He actually stepped down and performed right in the audience. It was so hot, and we were all sweaty; not to mention Rick. I threw him my sweater and he wiped his face with it! Although I thought it was cool at the moment, I immediately washed it when I returned home. The vendor posted some photos onto their website (click here). One of the photos actually features a group of us at the concert winning $100 for reciting the McMurry Mission Statement. We each memorized a line of it and recited it together to the owner... who immediately handed us a crisp $100 bill.

Click on the links below for a retro-treat!

Rick Springfield - from the 1980's


Rick Springfield - a recent 2006 concert clip


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of you and Harold, I mean Jim. You're so tan!! By the way, Rick Springfield... was that the "Jesse's Girl" singer or the "867-5309" singer?

BoxcatAV said...

Harold! He's wearing all black. He's missing his fashion consultants:-)

I need to find a way to go to this conference! You, me and Tania should all go!