Sunday, March 04, 2007

Meet Lexi

Tracy and I got a new cat on Saturday. Her name is Lexus (or Lexi for short). She is an Abyssinian.
After we lost our black cat, Bacardi, it was hard to decide on what to do about a new cat. We visited the Everett Animal Shelter and couldn't pick between all the cats. Another option was to pick a breed and buy a kitten. When I worked at the Vet during college, there was a breeder that came in frequently with her Abyssinians. I was fascinated. I couldn't really afford to buy a one at the time. Later, I ended up adopting my black cat instead.
So this time around, I figured that an Aby kitten might be an option (if it were not too expensive). I did some research to find out if there were any local breeders. I decided to contact one in Vancouver to find out how much kittens typically cost. It is hard to justify spending a lot on a kitten when there are cats in local animal shelters. But after some emailing back and forth, she mentioned that she had a three year old female that she couldn't breed anymore and was looking to adopt her out to a good home. It seemed like a match made in heaven. We really wanted to adopt a cat. We adopted Benson as an older dog too.
We drove up to Vancouver on Saturday and picked up Lexi. It was great to meet Tracy (the breeder) and her family and spend some time getting to know them. They are really neat people. Here is her website. She said she might want to go to Colima with us next year :)

Lexi is small and energetic. She has great color and very distinct markings (see her tail in the photo) She loves to jump around on things. I am finding myself "kid proofing" the home. She loves to chase little toys around on the hardwood floors.
Although she's never seen a dog before, she gets along pretty well with Benson. I'll post more photos as I get them.



1 comment:

BoxcatAV said...

Love love love the pix of Lexi sniffing Benson's nose!